Tuesday 21 July 2009

Film Review: JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (2008)


Director: Eric Brevig
Running time: 89 mins (approx)
Certification (UK): PG

Watched on Sky+ Tuesday 21st July 2009.

PLEASE NOTE: POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

This film was made in 3D, but unfortunately they haven’t invented 3D TV yet, well not in my price range anyway. I don’t think it matters anyway because I don’t think 3D would have enhanced this film much for me. You know when you see a trailer and think “That looks good, I’ll go and see that one.” and then you see the film and realise that all the best bits were in the trailer. Well, you guessed it, the best bit are in the trailer.

Having found his lost brother Max’s annotated copy of Jules Verne’s ‘Journey to the Centre of the Earth’, Professor Trevor Anderson and his nephew Sean set off for Iceland. There they meet the daughter of Sigurbjörn Ásgeirsson who had been working with his brother. Taking Hannah Ásgeirsson as a guide the trio set off to find out what happened to Max. A freak accident leaves them trapped in a cave that leads them on a perilous journey to the centre of the earth.

Unfortunately, Brendan Fraser has a habit of hamming it up, and in the part of Trevor he hams it up a plenty. I’m convinced he would have been happier to be playing it for laughs, as in George of the Jungle. Josh Hutcherson as Sean and Anita Briem as Hannah weren’t really stretched. I found the special effects quite poor, although this may have had something to do with it being made for 3D. I’m yet to see an adaptation of this story that is as good as the 1959 version directed by Henry Levin. Over all, not too good, ok to put the kids in front of for 89 minutes, but by far not the best adaptation I’ve seen.

My score: 5/10

No comments: