Saturday 29 August 2009

Film Review: V FOR VENDETTA (2005)


Director: James McTeigue
Screenplay: The Wachowski Brothers (Andy Wachowski & Larry Wachowski)
Running time: 127 mins (approx)
Certificate (UK): 15

Watched on DVD Saturday 29th August 2009.

PLEASE NOTE: POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

Set in a future that has parallels to George Orwell’s 1984, this film, based on a graphic novel by David Lloyd of the same name, tells the story of Evey and her involvement with the mysterious freedom fighter known simply as ‘V’. A really stunning film with characters you actually care about, this one ticked all of the boxes for me! More praise later, let me tell you something of the plot first.

Evey works for a TV company and is on her way to a late supper with her boss, Deitrich, when she is stopped by the secret police, known as the ‘finger’. It is past curfew and she should not be on the streets. They are about to exact punishment when the mysterious and masked vigilante ‘V’ comes to her rescue. He takes her to the rooftops where they watch as the Old Bailey, a famous London courthouse, is blown up by a bomb set by ‘V’. Evey awakes the next day not knowing that she is already a suspect in the bombing since her image was taken by security cameras. She goes to work, only for the TV station to become the next building to be attacked by ‘V’. He delivers a message over the air asking anyone wanting freedom from the oppressive regime that governs England to meet him in a year’s time on November the 5th outside Parliament. The police are already there when he’s finished and a battle ensues in which Evey is hurt. The next morning she wakes in the underground lair of the mysterious ‘V’. I will not tell you any more, but believe me, if you haven’t seen it yet, it’s well worth it!

A truly brilliant performance by Natalie Portman as Evey, I cannot give her enough praise, she was just stunning in this! Also excellent performances from Hugo Weaving as ‘V’, Stephen Rea as Inspector Finch, Stephen Fry as Deitrich, John Hurt as Adam Sutler (the evil High Chancellor) and Tim Pigott-Smith as Creedy. There are few films I watch these days that make me feel much emotion as I watch them these days, but this was a magnificent exception. I hadn’t heard much about it before seeing it, which, I think, added to my pleasure. Great production, without being over-produced and a really excellent story, I’ll sleep a happy man tonight.

My score: 9/10

LINKS:
IMDb Site: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0434409/
Official Site: http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/

No comments: