Sunday 8 November 2009

Film Review: GHOST TOWN (2008)


Co-Writer/Director: David Koepp
Running time: 99 mins (approx)
Certificate (UK): 12A

Watched on Sky+ Sunday 8th November 2009.

PLEASE NOTE: POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

First of all, I must admit to not being the greatest Ricky Gervais fan in the world. I have seen, and enjoyed, his TV series ‘Extras’, but most of what I’ve seen of his other output hasn’t really hit the mark IMHO. This film is set in Manhattan where Bertram Pincus is a dentist who doesn’t really like people. Frank Herlihy is a businessman who is cheating on his wife and, at the moment of his death, happens to be outside the building where Bertrum Pincus lives.

Having been in hospital for a routine operation, Bertrum Pincus discovers he can see dead people, or ghosts if you prefer. One of these ghosts happens to be a very pushy individual named Frank Herlihy, who insists Bertrum splits up his ex-wife, Gwen and her new fiancé, Richard. Frank believes Richard is using Gwen to get at the money she got from his life insurance. Reluctantly, Bertrum agrees, but as fate would have it, he finds himself falling for Gwen.

A really well made film, I particularly like the use of music throughout, it set the tone perfectly. Great performances from all of the cast, in particular, Ricky Gervais as Bertram Pincus D.D.S., Téa Leoni as Gwen and Greg Kinnear as Frank Herlihy. As a romantic comedy, I really enjoyed this film, I felt it got a bit lost in the middle, but came back strong at the end. As I said at the beginning, I’m not the greatest fan of Ricky Gervais, but I have heard that this is much better than The Invention of Lying (2009), which I’m prepared to believe, although I haven’t seen it yet. Over all, a really engaging romantic comedy. It looks like they had a lot of fun making it too; some of Téa Leoni’s laughter looked really genuine!

My score: 7.5/10

LINKS:
IMDb Site: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0995039/
Official Site: http://www.ghosttownmovie.com/intl/uk/#/home
Trailer: http://uk.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LINK/video/imdb/vi3501196057/

No comments: