Saturday 23 January 2010

Film Review: TRANSPORTER 3 (2008)


Director: Olivier Megaton
Writers: Luc Besson & Robert Mark Kamen
Running time: 104 mins (approx)
Certificate (UK): 15

Watched on Sky+ Saturday 23rd January 2010.

PLEASE NOTE: POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

I must first admit to being a bit of a fan of the work of Luc Besson ever since I saw the brilliant Léon (1994). He has been involved in the writing of all three films in this series and I have seen, and enjoyed, them all. He brings a certain style to the work that just isn’t present in the work of writers working out of America. The setting is, of course, Europe, and the transporter of the title, Frank Martin, has got troubles, yet again.

Having retired from his work, Frank is living a relaxing life in the south of France. He goes fishing with his friend, Inspector Tarconi and generally enjoys his new found freedom. That is until one evening when an ex-colleague crashes through the wall of his house with a girl asleep in the back of his car. Frank calls an ambulance not knowing that if the driver strays too fear from the vehicle a bracelet on his wrist will explode, killing him instantly. Unfortunately Frank realises this too late for his friend. The explosion knocks him out and he finds himself in a strange room with a bracelet attached to his wrist. A Mr Johnson enters the room and persuades him to come out of retirement. He has to take a girl, Valentina, to a destination that is set on the GPS they have fitted to his car. Unknown to Frank, Valentina is the daughter of a Ukrainian diplomat who is being blackmailed by a large American corporation to allow the dumping of toxic waste in the Ukraine. As you can guess, Frank is not happy with the situation and is soon causing problems for his new ‘employers’.

Now, I know it’s not the greatest piece of cinema, but I did find it very entertaining. The film was very well made with the fight sequences and car chases being choreographed perfectly. I found the pacing to be excellent also; I wasn’t looking at my watch once! Very good performances from all of the leading performers, Jason Statham as Frank Martin, Natalya Rudakova as Valentina, François Berléand as Inspector Tarconi and Robert Knepper as always excellent as the bad guy Johnson.

As I said at the beginning, I have been a bit of a fan of Luc Besson for quite a while and I must say that, although it’s not his best work, I enjoyed this film very much. It doesn’t tax the ‘little grey cells’ too much, but it is entertaining and I guess that’s what it is meant to do.

My score: 6.7/10

LINKS:
IMDb Site: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1129442/
Official Site: http://transporter3film.com/
Trailer: http://uk.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LINK/video/imdb/vi3362652185/

No comments: