Sunday 6 June 2010

Film Review: ZOMBIELAND (2009)


Director: Ruben Fleischer
Running time: 84 mins (approx)
Certificate (UK): 15

UK Release Date: 7th October 2009

Watched on DVD Sunday 6th June 2010.

PLEASE NOTE: POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

I sadly missed this one at the cinema last year, not showing at the local and transport issues getting to the nearest Cineplex. So it was with much anticipation I put the DVD into the player. The good news is I like it; I like it a lot! Here’s a brief summary then I’ll tell you why.

As is normal in most zombie films, some mystery virus has turned most of the Worlds population into flesh eating zombies. A young college student, known as Columbus, is making his way back home following a bunch of rules he’s made for himself since the world became Zombieland. He meets Tallahassee, a rough tough loner who has a thing for Twinkies. The duo decides to travel together, but is soon met by sisters Wichita and Little Rock, who con them out of their vehicle and weapons. The guys find another vehicle and catch the girls up. To cut a long story short they end up travelling together to Hollywood, and then the fun really starts. I will say no more, I don’t want to give too much away.

This is a really well made comedy zombie flick. Plenty of blood splatter and very inventive ways found to dispatch the zombie hoards. Great performances from all of the main cast, Jesse Eisenberg as Columbus, Woody Harrelson was particularly good as Tallahassee, Emma Stone as Wichita and Abigail Breslin as Little Rock. There is another major star that has a cameo, but I won’t give it away here, just in case you haven’t seen it yet.

As I said at the beginning, I really like this film; it has a great soundtrack too, if you open with Metallica you’re always going to get a vote from me! There are plenty of laughs and also some touching moments too. Over all, recommended, but maybe not for the more squeamish out there.

My score: 7.9/10

LINKS:
IMDb Site: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1156398/
Official Site: http://www.zombieland.com/
Trailer/Featurette: http://uk.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LINK/video/imdb/vi179635481/

No comments: