Monday 5 July 2010

Film Review: SMOKIN’ ACES 2: ASSASSINS’ BALL (2010)


Director: P.J. Pesce
Running time: 84 mins (approx)
Certification (UK): 18

USA release date: 19th January 2010

Watched on DVD Monday 5th July 2010.

PLEASE NOTE: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

Having had this recommended to me by a friend, and having seen the first one, I was quite hopeful when I put the disc into the DVD player. Unfortunately, 84 minutes later I was looking for my friends’ number to tell him never to recommend a film to me again! I think you can guess I was not impressed with what I saw.

Walter Weed an ageing government analyst has had a hit put out on him. Several assassins have been invited to try and kill him on a specific date and at a very specific time. The FBI reacts quickly and moves him into a secure location in a bunker under a Jazz club in Chicago. The assassins, however, seem to have been appraised of his location and move in for the kill. It’s every man, and woman, for himself and so there is no team play as they move in for the kill. With time running out, will any of them make it to the prize and collect the three million dollars on offer? I’ll leave my short summary here.

Apart from Tom Berenger as Walter Weed, none of the rest of the cast put in a decent performance. Maybe not entirely their fault because the script didn’t really give them much to play with. The plot, as an idea, was quite clever, but if it had been made as a spy thriller instead of a stupid gun-fest I suspect it would have worked a lot better. I feel sorry that Tom Berenger has had to stoop so low, he deserves better material than this. Over all, really not recommended.

My score: 5.1/10

LINKS:
IMDb Site: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1319743/
Official Site: http://www.universalstudiosentertainment.com/smokin-aces-2-assassins-ball/
Trailer: http://uk.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LINK/video/imdb/vi363267353/

No comments: