Saturday 28 August 2010

Film Review: SCOTT PILGRIM vs. THE WORLD (2010)


Co-Writer/Director: Edgar Wright
Running time: 112 mins (approx)
Certification (UK): 12A

UK Release date: 25th August 2010

Watched at the cinema Saturday 28th August 2010.

PLEASE NOTE: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

I heard many good things about this movie before I went to see it. Even so, I didn’t go in with too many expectations… I wasn’t disappointed. This was probably the most enjoyable movie I’ve seen so far this year. I walked out of the cinema with a smile on my face and there was even a spring in my step as I went over the preceding 112 minutes in my mind.

Scott Pilgrim is a 22 year-old living in Toronto, Canada with his gay flatmate, Wallace Wells. Scott plays bass in a band called Sex Bob-Omb which consists of Scott (of course), Kim Pine on drums, Stephen Stills on lead vocals and guitar and Young Neil as hanger-on. The band has ambitions to be famous and so have a gig coming up at a Battle of the Bands show. At the start of the film he is dating a seventeen year old schoolgirl called Knives Chau. Things seem to be going along quite well until Scott has a vision of a girl called Ramona Flowers. He becomes besotted by her and they end up hanging out together and eventually dating. Unfortunately Scott soon learns that if he wants to date Ramona he must first defeat her seven evil exe’s! Can Scott defeat these evil exe’s and win Ramona? What will Knives think of his infidelity? All these questions and many more remain to be answered… until you’ve seen the film of course.

As I said at the beginning, this was probably the most enjoyable film I’ve watched so far this year. I found the quirky mix of live action with comic book elements quite refreshing and it gave the film an interesting look and feel that I liked a lot! Great performances all round, especially from Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim, Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Ramona Flowers, Kieran Culkin as Wallace Wells, Mark Webber as Stephen Stills, Alison Pill as Kim Pine and Ellen Wong as Knives Chau.

This will most certainly feature in my best of the year awards in December. It did start to lose me a bit towards the end, but I won’t hold that against it. A really well made film which deserves the praise it has got (IMO). Well worth the entrance fee and very highly recommended.

My score: 8.3/10

LINKS:
IMDb Site: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0446029/
Official Site: http://www.scottpilgrimthemovie.com/
Trailer: http://uk.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LINK/video/imdb/vi1217070617/

No comments: