Tuesday 27 December 2011

Film Review: MEGAMIND (2010)

Megamind - poster Director: Tom McGrath
Writers: Alan J. Schoolcraft & Brent Simons
Running time: 92 mins (approx)
Certification (UK): PG

Genre: Animation/Action/Comedy
UK Release date: 3rd December 2010

Watched at the cinema Tuesday 27th December 2011.

PLEASE NOTE: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

This is another of those blockbuster animated films that uses the voices of famous stars to sell it. Well that’s what I was led to believe from the hype anyway. At the end of the day I decided it wasn’t all that bad. As far as I’m concerned, anyone could be supplying the voices in this one; it’s the writing that makes it (for me). I’m sure contributions were made by those involved, but the basic storyline would have remained the same and it’s the story that holds the thing together. Of course I was also immune to the 3D because I watched it in exactly the same number of dimensions the screen has. But I digress, here’s a very brief summary before I give you my thoughts.

Megamind - 1 With their planets doomed, two babies are sent towards Earth. One lands at a mansion and is brought up in a privileged home. He has superpowers and grows up to be the good guy: Metro Man. The other, well he lands in a prison, has no superpowers, but a genius mind and he becomes the bad guy: Megamind. The pair have many battles over the years with Metro Man always finishing with the upper hand. But this time it would be different; this time Megamind has a particularly evil plan. He kidnaps Metro Man’s girlfriend, reporter Roxanne Ritchie, and lures Metro Man to his doom. But will the destruction of Metro Man give Megamind everything he wants? Well, I’m afraid the Spoiler Police would really not like me telling you that… and anyway, they’ve threatened me with the ‘forget-me stick’ if I tell.

Megamind - 3 The animation is up to DreamWorks’ usual standard, nothing particularly extraordinary about it really. I love the soundtrack, but then again, put AC/DC, Ozzy Osbourne and Guns ‘n’ Roses in there and I’m yours! (I saw at least two of them in the same bill once). Performance wise, well everyone did a decent job, so I’ll give honourable mentions to the voice talents of; Will Ferrell as Megamind, Tina Fey as Roxanne Ritchie, Brad Pitt as Metro Man, Jonah Hill as Hal Stewart/ Titan, David Cross as Minion and Ben Stiller as Bernard.

Megamind - 2 The whole story is told from the point of view of Megamind which makes for an interesting dynamic. You end up sympathising with the bad guy and that, I guess, is what makes the whole thing work. I liked the storyline, but I suspect it may have been a little too complicated for younger members of the audience. They also fall into the trap of putting little nods to older films so the parents don’t get bored, I suppose, and this is all getting a little cliché Hollywood. Still, it’s pretty entertaining over all and one that’s worth a look… ‘Recommended’.

My score: 7.3/10.

IMDb Score: 7.3/10 (based on 50,452 votes at the time of going to press).
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1001526/

Rotten Tomatoes ‘Tomatometer’ Score: 72/100 (based on 170 reviews counted at the time of going to press).
Rotten Tomatoes ‘Audience’ Score: 73/100 (based on 93,545 user ratings counted at the time of going to press).
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/megamind/

If you’re crazy enough… You can find me on Facebook at:
http://facebook.com/andy.steel3

Megamind - 6 FAVOURITE QUOTES:
[first lines]
Megamind: Here's my day so far: went to jail, lost the girl of my dreams and got my butt kicked pretty good. Still, things could be a lot worse. Oh, that's right... I'm falling to my death. Guess they can't. How did it all come to this? Well, my end starts at the beginning... The very beginning!

Megamind: This will be the last you ever hear of... Roxanne Ritchie! Huh?
Metro Man: [gasps] Roxanne! Don't panic, Roxy... I'm on my way!
Roxanne Ritchie: I'm not panicking.
Megamind: [smirking] In order to stop me, you'll have to find us first!
Roxanne Ritchie: We're at the abandoned observatory!
Megamind: [lunges for the control and turns off the camera on Roxanne] Nooo! We're NOT! Don't listen to her, she's crazy!

Megamind - 5 [a solar-powered laser starts to activate]
Minion: [at a monitor] Death ray readying!
Megamind: Let's see if Metro Man can withstand the full concentrated power of the sun! FIRE!
[nothing happens]
Megamind: [to Minion] Fire!
Minion: [at monitor] Still warming up, sir.
Megamind: Come again?
Minion: Warming up.
Megamind: Warming up? The sun is WARMING UP?
Minion: Just a little more and...

LINKS:
Official Site: http://www.megamind.com/
Trailer:

1 comment:

James Rodrigues said...

great review, Andy. I saw another Dreamworks film about a supervillian who we sympathise with, Despicable Me. I'll recommend that one to you, since you've recommended this one to me