Sunday 29 January 2012

Film Review: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES (2011)

Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides - poster Director: Rob Marshall
Writers (Screenplay): Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio
Running time: 132 mins (approx)
Certification (UK): 12

Genre: Action/Adventure/Fantasy
UK Release date: 18th May 2011

Watched on Sky+ Sunday 29th January 2012.

PLEASE NOTE: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

Having seen all the previous films in the series and despite being woefully disappointed by the third instalment, I decided to give this one a go anyway. The critics tell me it’s better than “At Worlds End” and I am prepared (on this occasion) to believe them. Fortunately (for them), they were indeed correct and while not as good as the first two, it is an improvement. I will give you more of my thoughts after this brief summary.

Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides - 6 This time Jack Sparrow is on the trail of the Fountain of Youth. Teaming up with an old flame, Angelica, who turns out to be the daughter of the notorious pirate Blackbeard, Jack finds himself aboard Blackbeard’s ship and on route to the island where the Fountain can be found. Also on their trail there is Barbossa who, having lost his leg to Blackbeard is out for revenge. Throw in the might of the Spanish fleet and there’s more than enough competition for the prize. Certain items have to be collected before the Fountain can be used, not least of which is the tear of a mermaid and this proves very difficult to obtain. I don’t want to say too much, but needless to say a perilous journey is about to culminate in the mother of all showdowns! I had better not say any more of the Spoiler Police (Pirates Division) will have me clapped in irons and keel-hauled.

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES Very well made with some excellent CGI and stunt work; these are the hallmarks of these films. Performance wise; Johnny Depp did his usual comic turn as Jack Sparrow, Penélope Cruz did a decent job as Angelica Teach, Geoffrey Rush was good (as ever) as Barbossa and Ian McShane I felt did a decent job as Blackbeard. Honourable mentions must also go to; Kevin McNally as Joshamee Gibbs, Sam Claflin as Philip, Astrid Bergès-Frisbey as Syrina, Stephen Graham as Scrum, Keith Richards as Captain Teague and Richard Griffiths as King George.

Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides - 4 Although I did find it entertaining to a point, I did feel it got a little tedious and predictable towards the end. The trouble is, with three previous films, we have seen it all before and it does all get a little repetitive. I also felt it was way too long! I guess the films are still making large amounts of cash for the Disney machine and so they will continue to make them (sadly). I think, if you haven’t seen a ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ film before then I can recommend it to you; if you have, then be prepared for more of the same.

My score: 6.3/10

IMDb Score: 6.6/10 (based on 111,001 votes at the time of going to press).
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1298650/

Rotten Tomatoes ‘Tomatometer’ Score: 33/100 (based on 245 reviews counted at the time of going to press).

Rotten Tomatoes ‘Audience’ Score: 61/100 (based on 145,528 user ratings counted at the time of going to press).
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pirates_of_the_caribbean_on_stranger_tides/

If you’re crazy enough… You can find me on Facebook at:
http://facebook.com/andy.steel3

Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides - 2 FAVOURITE QUOTES:
[Standing on a cliff edge]
Jack Sparrow: You know that feeling you get when you're standing in a high place... sudden urge to jump?... I don't have it.

Blackbeard: [points the gun at Jack's head] I need those chalices.
Jack Sparrow: Shoot. Save me the bother of the fall.
Blackbeard: You will go and you will return. Or I will kill her.
[points the gun at Angelica]
Jack Sparrow: [surprised] You won't kill your own daughter.
Blackbeard: [hands the gun to the zombie quartermaster] Quartermaster, give me six more pistols, remove the shot from all but two and do not tell me which two.
[walks to where the six pistols are at]
Blackbeard: You get to choose, Mr.Sparrow.

Jack Sparrow: The fountain of youth, what does it require?
Angelica: A Mermaid, Jack.

Blackbeard: Bring the mermaid!
Philip: You're killing her.
Blackbeard: I'm a bad man.

Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides - 1 LINKS:
(Note: All were working at the time of going to press)
Official Site: http://www.disney.co.uk/pirates-of-the-caribbean/index.jsp
Trailer:

No comments: