Monday 31 May 2010

Film Review: LET THE RIGHT ONE IN (2008)


Director: Tomas Alfredson
Running time: 110 mins (approx)
Certificate (UK): 15

UK Release Date: 10th April 2009

Watched on DVD Sunday 30th May 2010.

PLEASE NOTE: POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

I’ve heard a lot of praise about this film and so I thought I’d better check it out. I wasn’t disappointed; it’s a truly excellent film. Very original in its approach and very well executed, I find it hard to find a fault with it! But I digress; it’s made in Swedish with subtitles, but believe me its well worth battling with the text. Here’s a short summary before a bit more praise.

As I’ve already said, the film is Swedish, and as you’d expect the setting is a small town in Sweden. It’s winter, unless it snows all year round there, and twelve year old Oskar, a bit of a loner, makes a new friend, Eli, when she moves into the apartment next door. Oskar has a problem with bullies at school and Eli teaches him to stand up for himself, but this causes further complications along the line. Meanwhile, there are several unexplained deaths occurring across the town that nobody seems to be able to solve. As Oskar and Eli’s friendship deepens, he discovers her secret, she’s a vampire, and as such it may not be possible for her to stay for much longer. I won’t say any more, don’t want to give too much away.

This is the best film I’ve seen so far this year. Beautifully shot with a really atmospheric soundtrack and brilliant performances from the two main actors, Kåre Hedebrant as Oskar and Lina Leandersson as Eli. Notable mentions must also go to Per Ragnar as Håkan, Henrik Dahl as Erik, Karin Bergquist as Yvonne, Peter Carlberg as Lacke and Patrik Rydmark as Conny.

This is how a vampire movie should be made in my opinion, it’s understated and quite beautifully shot. The soundtrack fits the pictures perfectly and it’s a really touching tale. I really identified with the main characters and found it easy to feel for them as their lives are turned inside out. A truly excellent film and very very highly recommended!

My score: 9.5/10

LINKS:
IMDb Site: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/
Official Site: http://www.lettherightoneinmovie.com/
Trailer: http://uk.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LINK/video/imdb/vi777782041/

No comments: