Friday 28 October 2011

Film Review: TANGLED (2010)

Tangled - poster Directors: Nathan Greno & Byron Howard
Running time: 100 mins (approx)
Certification (UK): PG

Genre: Animation/Adventure/Family/Comedy
UK Release date: 28th January 2011

Watched on Sky+ Friday 27th October 2011.

PLEASE NOTE: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

I thought I’d start my day off with something easy to watch, given a bit of a rough head this morning. Checking what I had recorded, I decided the one that would be easiest on the grey matter was ‘Tangled’. I was right… I was also delighted with my choice! Nothing like as bad as I was expecting, although it wasn’t perfect, Disney have come a long way in the last few years and appear to be on the right track to producing something really great in the next few years. But enough of my nonsense for now… More after this very brief summary.

tangled - 1 Having been kidnapped by Mother Gothel as a baby, Rapunzel is kept away from the world in a hidden tower. The only way in or out is to climb up her long golden hair. It is her magical hair that holds the secret to why Mother Gothel stole Rapunzel away… but I’m not going to tell you about that here. Just as Rapunzel is about to turn eighteen, a man, Flynn Rider climbs the tower trying to evade some palace guards who are chasing him. He has stolen something from the palace and they want it back. Each year on her birthday the sky is filled with magical lanterns and Rapunzel wants more than anything to go and see them. But Mother Gothel has made her afraid to go outside. Can she persuade Flynn to take her to see the lanterns and, more importantly, can she overcome her fears of the outside world. I think that’s enough to whet your appetite for now… don’t want the Spoiler Police chasing me down and throwing me in a dungeon again.

tangled - 2 Beautifully animated with some really great songs (& some not quite so great) to take you along the journey. This is a really well made family film with some really nice touches. The voice talents of Mandy Moore as Rapunzel and Zachary Levi as Flynn Rider were both excellent. I thought Donna Murphy played the evil Mother Gothel very well, particularly the songs. Honourable mentions go to the voice talents of; Ron Perlman as Stabbington Brother, M.C. Gainey as Captain of the Guard, Jeffrey Tambor as Big Nose Thug, Brad Garrett as Hook Hand Thug, Paul F. Tompkins as Short Thug and Richard Kiel as Vlad.

tangled - 8 The comic relief was supplied by a horse, Maximus and a chameleon, Pascal. There is also a band of thugs who help the unlikely pair on their journey; they have the best musical number in the show (IMO). In fact, this film did have the ring of an old fashioned musical about it and I must admit, I did enjoy that aspect of it. On the down side, I thought everyone looked a little bit too ‘Disney cute’ for my liking. The eyes way too big and the waistlines way too thin… it doesn’t look right (to me) I’m afraid. That aside, I did enjoy this film (in 2D) though… Recommended.

My Score: 7.7/10.

IMDb Score: 7.8/10 (based on 60,662 votes at the time of going to press).
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0398286/

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 89/100 (based on 179 reviews counted at the time of going to press).
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tangled/

If you’re crazy enough… You can find me on Facebook at:
http://facebook.com/andy.steel3

tangled - 6 FAVOURITE QUOTES:
[first lines]
Flynn Rider: This is the story of how I died. Don't worry, this is actually a very fun story and the truth is, it isn't even mine. This is the story of a girl named Rapunzel.

Rapunzel: Something brought you here, Flynn Rider. Call it what you will... fate... destiny...
Flynn Rider: A horse.

Flynn Rider: [sword-fighting with Maximus] You should know that this is the strangest thing I've ever done!
[Max flicks the frying-pan from Flynn's hands]
Flynn Rider: ... How 'bout best two out of three?

tangled - 9 LINKS:
Official Site: http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/tangled/textonly/
Trailer:

2 comments:

Sara C said...

I'm such a massive fan of this film. I think it marks Disney's comeback really showing that they can make classic fairytale's to the same standard as they did 20+ years ago. I wasn't expecting that much from it but I really felt that it captured the true Disney magic that I feel everytime I watch The Lion King, Peter Pan etc... I agree with your comments. I loved some of the songs, but some did fall flat and the voice acting was brilliant. Great review!

HarleyQuinn said...

I really enjoyed this, it was a solid animated film with absolutely gorgeous visuals and excellent voice acting. Plus, Flynn Rider is one of the best characters that they have created (a combination of my two favourite Disney Princes Aladdin and Naveen). I agree with Sara about some of the songs but this is an excellent movie nonetheless. great review!