Saturday 8 October 2011

Film Review: SKYLINE (2010)

Skyline poster Director: Colin Strause & Greg Strause (aka ‘The Brothers Strause’)
Running time: 91 mins (approx)
Certification (UK): 12

Genre: Action/Sci-Fi/Thriller
UK Release date: 12th November 2010

Watched on Sky+ Saturday 8th October 2011.

PLEASE NOTE: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

This film was universally panned by the critics when it came out and, being of a curious nature, I decided to see just how bad it was. I should have been wary as it’s made by the same guys who brought us the awful… IMO AVPR: Aliens vs Predator - Requiem in 2007 (my review here). I can’t say this information filled me with glee, but I persevered and, taking a deep breath, pressed PLAY… I’ll give you my thoughts after this very brief summary.

Skl-5 Young couple Jarrod and Elaine fly into L.A. to visit Jarrod’s friend, successful entrepreneur, Terry. They meet at Terry’s penthouse apartment where they also meet Terry’s wife, Candice, and his assistant Denise. That evening Terry throws a party, it’s his birthday, and one of the guests, Ray, stays in the living room with Denise. At about 4AM the following morning, they are woken by a bright blue light that, it seems, Ray cannot resist, and he walks right off the balcony towards it. It appears an alien invasion is taking place and they want humans… all of them. I won’t say any more of the Spoiler Police will be chasing me with a bright blue light on their freaky looking vehicle.

Skl-4 I’ll start with performances, well, it wasn’t great in this department, but I thought David Zayas as Oliver, the apartment supervisor, did the best with what he had to play with. Otherwise, everyone was just mediocre but I’ll list the major players just for completeness; Eric Balfour played Jarrod, Scottie Thompson played Elaine, Brittany Daniel was Candice, Crystal Reed was Denise, and finally, Donald Faison played Terry.

Skyline_movie_image On the plus side, the CGI and special effects were all very well done and would have looked pretty spectacular on the big screen. Unfortunately, that’s about as far as the plus side goes. They plot was preposterous to say the least and the dialogue was pretty terrible too. I do love a decent Sci-Fi Action Thriller, but this is the kind of thing that gives the genre a really bad name and I truly wish they had never made it! I’m sometimes accused of being too generous with the scores I give, but I have no problem in giving this the lowest score I’ve ever given (& I’m probably still being too generous, but the CGI was pretty good). Definitely NOT recommended.

My Score: 2.6/10.

IMDb Score: 4.5/10 (based on 35,709 votes at the time of going to press).
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1564585/

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 16/100 (based on 75 reviews counted at the time of going to press).
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/skyline_2010/

If you’re crazy enough… You can find me on Facebook at:
http://facebook.com/andy.steel3

Skl-2 FAVOURITE QUOTES:
[first lines]
Elaine: [weird bright lights outside] Ugh, is it morning already?

Elaine: I hate L.A.

[last lines]
Elaine: Jarrod?

(It seems Elaine gets all the best lines in this one!...)

LINKS:
Official Site: http://www.iamrogue.com/skyline
Trailer:

2 comments:

James Rodrigues said...

I hated this movie, I was dragged to see this by a friend and while he loved it, I thought it was the worst thing I saw in cinemas last year. Great review, bloody Strauss brothers

HarleyQuinn said...

I do not want to see this one at all, as you said about the universal panning. excellent review Andy!