Sunday 22 April 2012

Film Review: IP MAN 2 (2010)

Ip Man 2 - poster [A.K.A. IP MAN 2: LEGEND OF THE GRANDMASTER]
[Original Title: YIP MAN 2]

Director: Wilson Yip
Writer (screenplay): Edmond Wong
Running time: 108 mins (approx)
Certification (UK): 15

Genre: Action/Biography/Drama/Martial Arts
UK Release date: 28th January 2011

Watched on Sky+ Sunday 22nd April 2012.

PLEASE NOTE: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

This is the sequel to the 2008 film ‘Ip Man’ which I reviewed back in July last year (you’ll find my thoughts on it here if you want to refresh your memory). I must admit I do enjoy these films although I do find the plots more than a little contrived. But then again I guess the way the story is told is probably a cultural thing. Anyway, here’s a brief summary before I give you my thoughts.

Ip Man 2 - 3 Following on from the first film, Ip Man, his wife and son find themselves in Hong Kong and it’s the 1950’s. Ip Man decides to open up a Martial Arts School to teach his particular branch of Kung Fu, Wing Chun. This proves more difficult than he first anticipated and the film takes us through all the trials and tribulations he has to go through in order to get it off the ground. Not only does he have to contend with local gangs and other martial arts masters, but the Hong Kong police don’t make it any easier either. A boxing match where an arrogant English champion takes on one of the masters ends in disaster and it’s up to Ip Man to restore honour to the Chinese and also put his style of Kung Fu firmly on the map. I won’t say any more or the Spoiler Police will have me sparring with the master at dawn (again).

Ip Man 2 - 6 Really well made with some truly excellent fight scenes. The bad guys were particularly bad in this one which always helps! Decent performances all round; Donnie Yen reprised his role as Ip Man, the man who taught Bruce Lee, and did an excellent job again. Lynn Hung played Zhang Yong Cheng and Simon Yam played Zhou Qing Quan.

Ip Man 2 - 2 The thing that struck me was the quality of the martial arts on show; these guys really know what they’re doing and it shows. Yes the plot is more than a little contrived and the bad guys, certain members of the British contingent in this case, are particularly nasty. Even so, an enjoyable watch, but maybe not quite as good as the first film, but one I’d happily see again sometime… Recommended.

My Score: 7.4/10

IMDb Score: 7.5/10 (based on 20,634 votes at the time of going to press).
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1386932/

MetaScore: 67/100: (Based on 13 critic reviews provided by Metacritic.com at the time of going to press).

Rotten Tomatoes ‘Tomatometer’ Score: 92/100 (based on 26 reviews counted at the time of going to press).

Rotten Tomatoes ‘Audience’ Score: 82/100 (based on 16,004 user ratings counted at the time of going to press).
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ip_man_2_legend_of_the_grandmaster/

If you’re crazy enough… You can find me on Facebook at:
http://facebook.com/andy.steel3

Ip Man 2 - 4 FAVOURITE QUOTES:
Landlady: Master! Someone wants to learn Wing Chun.
Ip Man: You want to learn Wing Chun?
Wong Shun Leung: Maybe. Just checking it out. I don't know what Wing Chun is.
Ip Man: Let me give you an introduction. As a matter of fact, Wing Chun is a close combat style from the South...
Wong Shun Leung: No need to tell me all this. Let's just fight. I'll pay you the school fees if I lose.
Ip Man: Ok. I am Ip Man of Wing Chun.

Ip Man: Let's talk. Will you release my pupil first?
Cheng Wai-Kei: Release him!
Ip Man: Leung, are you all right?
Wong Shun Leung: I'm fine.
Ip Man: Why did you injure him?
Wong Shun Leung: He wanted to fight, but wasn't as good as me. I couldn't really help it, could I?
Cheng Wai-Kei: What did you say? I'm not as good as you?
Ip Man: Take it easy! You're both young men. Injuries are inevitable in friendly fights. I'll visit your master and explain to him. May I know who your master is?
Cheng Wai-Kei: Doesn't matter. He's better than you anyway. By the way, did you bring the ransom?
Ip Man: No.

Wong Shun Leung: Master, you really can fight ten men at once.

Ip Man 2 - 1 LINKS:
(Note: All were working at the time of going to press)
Official Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IpManNAmerica
Official Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/ipmanmovie
Official Site: http://www.ipman2movie-us.com/
Trailer:

No comments: