Saturday 16 June 2012

Film Review: BRITAIN IN A DAY (2012)

Britain in a Day - poster Director: Morgan Matthews
Running time: 90 mins (approx)
Certification (UK): TBA

Genre: Documentary
UK Release date: 11th June 2011

Watched on Sky+ Monday 11th June 2012.

PLEASE NOTE: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

Made along very similar lines to ‘Life in a Day’ (2011), [my review here] this documentary is made from short films and clips made by people in the UK on 12th November 2011. It was organised by the BBC and the film premiered on BBC2 this week. I must say I enjoyed it very much, particularly the music, which really fitted the visuals very well.

Britain in a Day - 1 Several threads are followed throughout the day, but the film takes us through from the early hours until late at night. An eclectic mix of themes, everything from sport to babies to weddings to pets (and much more). At times very touching and also quite infuriating in places too, it really takes you through the whole gamut of emotions. At the end of it I must say I was left with a feeling of pride that I live in such a diverse and brilliant country… Please don’t turn it into America!... Don’t get me wrong, I like America, there are many wonderful things about it. I just feel that in the modern world with instant communication and modern media Britain is losing its identity and (for me) that’s not necessarily a good thing. (Sorry for getting a bit political there).

Britain in a Day - 4 Back to the film, just like ‘Life in a Day’, there is no voice-over, just the people of Britain telling their own stories on one particular day. I really enjoyed it, particularly the story of the wedding, that really touched my heart. It maybe loses some impact because it has been done before, but even so, it’s well worth a look… Recommended.

My score: 7.8/10

Britain in a Day - 2 IMDb Score: 7.3/10 (based on 15 votes at the time of going to press).
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt2119395/

MetaScore: No Data: (Based on 0 critic reviews provided by Metacritic.com at the time of going to press).

Rotten Tomatoes ‘Tomatometer’ Score: No Listing (based on 0 reviews counted at the time of going to press).

Rotten Tomatoes ‘Audience’ Score: No Listing (based on 0 user ratings counted at the time of going to press).

If you’re crazy enough… You can find me on Facebook at:
http://facebook.com/andy.steel3

FAVOURITE QUOTES:
None available.

Britain in a Day - 3 LINKS:
(Note: All were working at the time of going to press)
My review of ‘Life in a day’: http://thoughtsofasteelmonster.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/film-review-life-in-day-2011.html
Official Site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00kqz5p
Teaser Trailer:

1 comment:

MithilVBhoras said...

This is an interesting film. Nice review. If you are interested you should check out "Baraka" a 1992 non-verbal documentary. Absolutely stunning! Good day.