Sunday 14 June 2009

Film Review: AWAKE (2007)


Director: Joby Harold

Watched on Sky+ Saturday 13th June 2009.

This tense drama was a lot better than I expected it to be. It kept me gripped from start to finish, despite the best efforts of my lovely neighbour to distract me with loud music and the smells of cooking from the barbecue she was hosting! Not that I’m upset at not being invited, I think I got the better deal.

Anyway, enough of my lovely neighbour, the story centres around the wealthy Clay Beresford played by Hayden Christensen who is doted on by his overbearing mother Lilith (Lena Olin). He is secretly engaged to Sam Lockwood (the beautiful Jessica Alba) and is suffering from a heart condition for which he requires a transplant and is being treated by Dr Jack Harper (Terrence Howard). The first half of the film sets up the relationships between the characters well and culminates in a secret marriage between Clay and Sam. This is where it all goes wrong for Sam. On his wedding night he is paged with the news that a new heart has been found for him. Having met the team that will carry out the transplant he is put under anaesthetic only to find himself paralysed but still awake and able to hear the surgeons plotting to kill him…

There is a lovely twist in the tale here that I won’t go into because it will spoil it for those that have not seen the film. Excellent performances all round, in particular from Hayden Christensen and Jessica Alba. Honourable mentions should also go to Terrence Howard, Lena Olin, Christopher McDonald (as Dr. Larry Lupin) and Arliss Howard (as Dr. Jonathan Neyer). Credit should also go to the writer and director Joby Harold.

Over all, a really good, well produced enthralling thriller.

My score: 7/10

No comments: