Saturday 6 June 2009

Film Review: Star Trek (2009)


Saw this at the cinema a couple of weeks ago and I loved it. There are those out there in 'Internet land' that are not so sure, but I'm a huge fan!

The film tells the story of how many of the characters from the original series came to join the Federation and how they finally joined together aboard the Enterprise. There is a twist, however, from director J.J. Abrams, of TV's 'Lost' fame, I wouldn't expect anything less! The bad guys, Romulans in this case, have the use of time travel and use it to wreak havoc with the time line. Of course this involves all of the Star Trek characters in an exciting adventure and we reach the end with what I like to think of as a parallel, but different history to those characters. This leaves the franchise open to start again, which some people will disagree with, but I'll keep watching with an open mind.

As for the performances, Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto were excellent as the young Kirk and the young Spock respectively. It was nice to see the one and only original Spock, Leonard Nimoy make an appearance. I particularly enjoyed the performance of Karl Urban as Bones. Honerable mentions go to Zoe Saldana as Uhura, Simon Pegg as Scotty, John Cho as Zulu and Anton Yelchin as Chekov.

As I said at the beginning, I loved it, all round good fun so it's 9/10 from me!!

No comments: