Monday 15 June 2009

Film Review: STREET KINGS (2008)


Director: David Ayer

Watched on Sky+ Sunday 14th June 2009.

Directed by the writer of Training Day I guess I expected something better. The police corruption was there along with the gangs and a very complicated plot. But for some reason this film didn’t do a lot for me I’m afraid.

It tells of how a corrupt cop Detective Tom Ludlow, played by Keanu Reeves and his equally corrupt boss, Captain Jack Wander, brilliantly portrayed by Forest Whitaker, seeks redemption after his ex-partner Detective Terrence Washington (Terry Crews) is murdered. He sets out to find the killers, assisted by Detective Paul Diskant (Chris Evans) and Scribble (Cedric the Entertainer), even though finding them may implicate Ludlow in the murder. Ludlow is also being investigated by Internal Affairs in the shape of Captain James Biggs, very adequately played by Hugh Laurie. There’s a lot of shooting, shouting and, of course, bloodshed before we reach the conclusion which kind of left me a bit flat, because I didn’t really care about any of the characters.

Great performances by Forest Whitaker and Hugh Laurie. Keanu Reeves wasn’t really stretched, but put in a reasonable performance. A very slick looking film that was, for me, lacking some substance I’m afraid.

My score: 6/10

No comments: